Monday, May 28, 2012

A Declaration

After yesterday's deck and spar work, I was pretty motivated today.  For starters, I trimmed the decks to fit the hull, and sanded them smooth.  Then we set sawhorses under the hull and flipped it over, to begin work on the exterior. The goal is to "radius" the seams - that is, to turn them from angular meetings of two sheets of plywood, to gently curved transitions that can be smoothly covered with glass tape.

Using my trusty 4-in-hand file, some 60-grit sandpaper, and the block plane, I proceeded to radius the entire length of all three seams in about an hour and a half.  It went much faster than anticipated, but I suspect I'm going to be really, really sore tomorrow.

Soon - maybe even later today - I'll make a small batch of filleting epoxy and touch up the gaps in the seams.  Then it will be time to glass 'em, and do the final epoxy-coating of the exterior.

Translation:  I'm within sight of completing the hull.  Emboldened by this realization, I've decided to state publicly that I will launch this boat in June. 

There, I said it.  And now it remains to be seen whether I can put my money where my mouth is.  Stay tuned....

2 comments:

  1. go richy go richy!
    you're locked in? hehe

    gotta love those hull curves. well done so far and best wishes. terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Terry! There's been much more progress recently but I'm having trouble finding time to blog it. I've invited folks to a launching at the local state park lake on June 30th. It's not going to be easy, but I think I can make it.

    ReplyDelete