Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Much to tell, no time to tell it

Apologies for announcing I would launch soon, then disappearing.  I am indeed on track to launch in June, but just barely:  I've declared a launch party on the 30th, at our local state park lake.  There's a lot to be done to meet that deadline, but it should be doable, if only just. 

Since the beginning of the month, I've:
  • completed glassing and epoxy coating the exterior seams
  • faired the bow and stern
  • applied 3 coats of yellow paint
  • built and installed a "Y" mount for my reclaimed windsurfer mast
  • cut a new "Y" for my bamboo spar
  • purchased, shaped and painted a pine log to use for the outrigger
  • trimmed my crossbeams to shape
  • cut all the little crossbeam support sticks ("tuki") 
  • and applied a coat of varnish to the paddles
Still to do before launch in 4 days:
  • purchase, cut, splice and install all rigging
  • paint the stripe along the gunwales
  •  stitch the sail numbers onto the sail
  • finish varnishing paddles
  • test-assemble the boat in the back yard so that I know what I'm doing
  • and apply for state registration, which is required of sailboats
 Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get going - there's a lot of work to do yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment