Wednesday, May 9, 2012

More Sailmaking

For some reason, I'm loathe to break out the sandpaper and finish the fillets in my hull.  But time's a-wasting, so I need to make some sort of progress on the boat.

There's still the sail to work on, so this morning my son and I broke out the infernal device the sewing machine.  We retouched some segments of the center seam that were sloppy or crooked, or where the machine skipped stitches.

Then we got out the batten, and sketched in the hollow in the leach (mouth?) of the sail.  I triple-checked to ensure that it really was cut that way, and not just shown curved in the drawings because that's how it looks when you're sailing.  But no, I'm pretty sure that's actually how it should be cut.

So we sketched and cut the hollow, then hemmed it to a length of polypropylene webbing.  It looks much more like a crab claw sail with that curve in place.

The next step will be to hand-stitch the bolt ropes into the seam along the head and foot of the sail, and again outside the seam.  That rope will be used as eyelets when we lace the sail to the spars.

Speaking of spars, I picked up three impressive lengths of straight, dead aspen at a friend's cabin last weekend.  I haven't decided yet if they're to be spars or kiato, or some of each.  But they represent some more non-hull progress.  So even though I'm avoiding the fillets, I'm still moving the project forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment