Thursday, May 24, 2012

A New Wharram Melanesia Video on Youtube



We've seen just a little bit of JIPE98's Melanesia before, but he's really cooking in this one.  The blurb beneath the video states that he hit 8.4 knots on this run from Ouemo to Uere, New Caledonia.  That's really cooking for a 16' outrigger canoe!

The video appears to have been shot handheld by his crew, and details of his one-handed steering setup hover just outside the frame.  But there are some stills of the canoe from above at the end of the video, and she's a very nice-looking example.

I look forward to seeing more of this Melanesia in the future.  It looks like he's got a great boat, and a beautiful setting to sail in.



Meanwhile, in my own build, I wasn't able to apply further coats of epoxy to my fiberglass-taped fillets yesterday because a cold front blew through, bringing 50°F temps and a day of much-needed rain.  So I continued stitching the second rope to my sail, which is almost complete now.  Today looks favorable for epoxy work - higher temperatures, at least, and the rain has ended.  So I hope to be able to finish coating the fillet glass today, and move on to installing the decks tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment