Saturday, September 3, 2011

Impatient!

With life settling down a bit, I've been anxious to make some headway on the boat.  I'm in the middle of epoxy coating the interior panels, which requires two coats to achieve an even, thorough protective layer.

Unfortunately, you can't rush the chemical process of curing epoxy.  So I've been coating, waiting, sanding, cleaning, coating, waiting....  I've set up a workstation in the back yard, where I have a piece of plywood on sawhorses and covered with a sheet of plastic.  The weather has held, for the most part, and the only real problem is the thousands of grasshoppers who can't wait to scratch their initials in my finish surface.

The payoff for all this waiting, though, is very exciting: the next step is stitching the hull panels together.  That will be a red-letter day.

Other facets of the build....
  • Rounding up found lumber: as mentioned before, I have a line on a carbon fiber windsurfer mast.  No real movement on other poles or the outrigger ama itself.
  • Sailmaking:  I'm displeased with the quality of my hand-stitched center seam, and trying to figure out how to run the fabric through my wife's fragile sewing machine.  Need to source some stout machine-friendly thread and learn how to use the infernal device....
  • Paddles: I lofted the lines for the steering paddle onto a piece of scrap 2x12 the other day, but the plank has a lot of twist to it, and I don't think that's going to work.  So I think I need to go buy more wood to laminate another blank together, before trying to shape it.  I also need to get belts for my 1950's Craftsman belt sander.  The teardrop-shaped propulsive paddles are awaiting final finish sanding and varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment