Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Steering Paddle A Complete Loss

Just a quick entry today to say that I've decided to scrap the steering paddle.  As explained in my previous post, my ill-conceived attempt at tapering the blade thickness with a circular saw went badly.  I attempted to clean it up last night, but soon decided it was a total loss - if there were only one cut that went too deep, I might salvage it by epoxying on some strips in the affected area. But with several irregularly-shaped intrusions, it's just too much work to recover the correct paddle form.

The good news is that the other paddle I attempted to shape with the circular saw came out okay, and is fully shaped and ready to sand smooth.  It's also nice that I have a 2x12 ready for a second attempt at a steering paddle without having to laminate pieces together.  I'll try to loft and cut out a paddle from that piece of wood with the jigsaw tonight, and this time, the shaping will be all belt-sander and block plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment