Monday, March 26, 2012

Bilge Fillet Complete-ish

Nice weekend weather gave me a window of opportunity to finish up the center seam on my canoe.  I remembered to use the tape trick this time, and the line came out nice and clean (except for the horrors of the frame fillets).  Considering that I don't intend to paint the interior, I think I can live with the result.

The reason I describe it as "complete-ish" rather than "complete" is that there's a sanding and fiberglass taping step still to do.  One smooths the top of the fillet out into a graceful curve, then epoxy and glass tape are applied to protect and strengthen the joint.  Combined with the filler and glass tape on the exterior side of the joint, the result is sort of an I-beam structure that gradually blends into the plywood.

Also, there's a bit of remedial filleting to do before we can glass over it.  Towards the bow, my mixture was a little thin and didn't fill as high as the wire stitches, as you can see in the second photo here.  The glass tape really needs to have a smooth surface to sit on, or else you get bubbles of air beneath it.  So I'll have to fill that in a little, too.

But I think I'll fillet the chines and the outsides of the joints first - that way, I can do my glassing all at once.  Hopefully, that will give me a chance to get "good at it" and produce a better result.

The weather man says that our unseasonably warm temperatures will continue for most of this week, so there should be some good opportunities for filleting in the early evenings.  More news as it happens....

2 comments:

  1. Neato mosquito! Nice to see you back , something i need to do...

    Best, terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks, Terry. Finally getting the perfect combo of weather and a little free time to work on it. What's the latest on your build?

    ReplyDelete