Sunday, October 16, 2011

Epoxy Fillets 2, Rich 1

I've been avoiding the epoxy work on the boat lately, to be honest.  It's much less glamorous than lofting, cutting or stitching.  Worse still, it's messy and difficult to do well, and the prep involves sanding, which I don't like much.  But my collection of plywood parts won't be a boat until I fillet every seam on the thing.

So I finally got a little time and a little gumption together, and filleted another bead along the center seam.  It went much better today - so much so that I'm willing to claim victory over the dreaded epoxy fillet in this encounter.  I think part of the reason was that I'm working in a more open section of the boat, where it was much easier to apply and work the epoxy.  But it also helped a lot that I mixed a stiff batch of epoxy today, so there was no dripping and relatively little flowing or pooling to mess up my efforts.  I'm starting to get a good feel for what the consistency should be, finally.

The epoxy cures noticeably slower in these cool fall temperatures - today's working temp was around 60 degrees F.  I'll pull the masking tape edging up tomorrow morning or so, and if I get favorable weather I'll continue the center seam to the stern post.

Looking ahead, there's still the tight detail work around the stern post to do, and then I'll need to fillet the side panel seams.  So with today's work, I'm something like a fifth or a sixth of the way through the filleting process.  And after that's done, there's fiberglass tape for the inside and outside of every fillet, and then fairing the hull smooth....  Much to be done, in short, but it feels good to make some progress and get a better result than my last few attempts.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rich,
    Well done recently. I've been following you literally. I'm stitched up now. Filleting next. I hear what you say about avoiding epoxy. I am not looking forward to it either.

    Your sail looks good. Nice to hear your son pitched in to help too. My daughter is more keen now she can actually see a canoe.

    You gave me an idea with the sail number. Mine would be 688. By the way, I glued my 'woman's breasts' (hehe) logo and then machine sewed it. Came up okay, and quick (once the glue dried).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich,
    I just noticed your tag, :hard-won competence", it encapsulates wha this build is about for me. Struggle ahead, make a mistake, get it right, move ahead.

    I wondered today about building another Wharram, a bigger one and what I would do differently. I reckon a Tiki 21 in a shed with lights and a radio and plenty of space. How about you? Do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Terry. I've given considerable thought to the question of whether I'd do this again. Honestly, I'm not sure right now. I would like to try building in welded sheet aluminum - I think it would go together really quickly, and result in a relatively durable and trouble-free hull. So I'd definitely consider doing it again if that was an option.

    As for another ply/epoxy build.... only if I had dedicated space, I think. The Melanesia barely fits in my porch and I sometimes feel bad about taking up family space with it.

    I *would* like to help my kids build boats some day, if they decide to do so. They're not much involved in this build (sail notwithstanding), and I have some thoughts on the life lessons boat building imparts. Perhaps that's a topic for an entire blog post, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeh, heavy stuff. just musing avoiding work ;)) guess what i have my old series 3 land rover rotting away at the bottom of the driveway as i write. i should have been focussed and got it going .... something about the simplicity of wharram and land rover engineering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I'm jealous....

    Honestly, the interstate culture in the USA makes them pretty impractical - a car really needs to be capable of 75-80 MPH to be useful. But for everything other than interstate travel, it would be a kick to have one. Maybe when I'm done with the canoe....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please hold the jealousy. Mine needs lots of elbow grease ... But I used it to commute et al for 10 years or more. The best was when I had the kids in the car, top window halves removed, vents open cruising along at 55 mph yelling at one another to be heard over the engine noise. They are such a practical car. Mine was a "panel van", which I converted to a ute. Like Meccano. What stopped it was an aftermarket distributor.

    I suspect that having one in the US is more special - I subscribed to a US LR list for many years - over here, being a colony, they're more common mostly sitting in paddocks. Sighting one on the road now is a rare treat. A great beast.

    Re "need a car capable of 75-80" - turn your mirrors inwards to hide the trail of cars behind and catch your smile. :))

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete